Tuesday 24 July 2012

Crafty Crease #21: Going to SENZ 2012

SENZ is the biggest paper crafting event of the year!

While visiting Scotties Crafts in Auckland for the first time, I was inspired by their wonderful staff to take some of their classes they were doing at SENZ in Hamilton this year.

This is not something I would normally be brave enough to do but after meeting the Scotties Crafts girls and chatting to them, I felt at ease.

My BFF who was with me at the time, had a birthday of which I was yet to provide a present for and I immediately booked her into 2 classes with me.  

Later on, I decided to do a 3rd class all by myself ..... and I would've booked more except I was too late to get into the ones that interested me.  I have discovered that you have to be really quick to get in and not to hesitate because there will not be a second chance!!.

I really enjoyed SENZ.  I saved up some money cause I knew I was going to spend heaps at the stalls and I certainly did that!!  This was my first Scrapbooking Expo.  My only advice to anyone going is.....

Book classes as early as possible
I was frustrated not being able to go to all the classes I wanted to but thats because I booked so late.  I now know that I will have to be in quick next year.

Extra Costs
The classes themselves were excellent value for money and the kits you get are filled with embellishments, accessories and tools.  However, I did get a bit of a fright when I got emails from the tutors suggesting what I would need to further acquire 'extras'(other than the basic kit that most people have). What made it worse was that they often had these extra items at the class anyway!!  Do not buy the extra items before you go,  only take the 'extras' if you already have them.  

So not only did I pay $45 per class, then paid for the 'extras', I realized that I would also have to pay for entry too!!  I did 3 classes over 3 days and it all adds up.  I think there should at least be a better discount for those doing classes.

Go either on the first or last day
Public days like Saturday are a crowded nightmare!  Great for the stalls but everything from parking, amenities and getting to checkouts were testing on ones patience.  Not a place to take young children.  The Sunday was dead quiet but that was also influenced by the inclement weather.  Great for me to shop though.   

Take sustenance with you.  
The cafe had queues for miles!!  You get so absorbed in whats going on around you that you sort of don't stop till you're hungry or thirsty.  By that time, waiting in line is unbearable.  Either take a drink and snack with you or be prepared to go and come back (but lose your carpark!).

Don't be afraid to ask. 
I saw lots of ideas that appealed to me but was too shy to ask the first day.  I summoned up the courage when my curiosity got the better of me.  I found that almost all of the retailers are craft mad and are willing to share with you how they went about their creations.  One stall not only told me the exact color inks and paper she used but also allowed me to video her demonstrate a technique for me (which I will post later!).  Lots of retailers also permitted me to take photos of displays too.

Make a list before you get there
I made a quick shopping list of the things that I needed (Lets be real ok!  Things that I really wanted!) to get first and everything else was a bonus.  I guess it gave me something to compare prices between stalls with too.  It also helps you to focus because a place like SENZ can be very distracting mentally and financially!  I ignored one item on my list and sorely regretted it when I came to my senses only to find they were all sold out!!

Scout first, shop later
It was worth doing a quick look over all the stalls.  You would be surprised at the differences in prices!!  I quickly worked out where I wanted to spend more time.  Scotties Crafts were my favorite stall - they had some great bargins  followed by Montarga Stamps.

Love this store - comprehensive site

Check out her card gallery - its fabulous!

SENZ next year: Auckland July 5-7th at TelstraClear Pacific Events Centre


THE NEXT BIG THING .....

The Craft and Quilt Fair is an Australian fair.  Hamilton is the only NZ venue they come to.
  

EVENT DETAILS:

September 6 – 9, 2012 
Open 10am – 4:30pm daily
Claudelands Events Centre, Hamilton

HAMILTON'S CRAFT & QUILT FAIR ADMISSION:
  • Adults $14
  • Children (from 5 to 16 years) $8
  • Family (2A + 2C) $34


No comments: