Tuesday 14 February 2012

Crafty Crease #5: Mini Scrapbook Canvas Picture

A couple of years ago my friend Franny gave me these mini pictures as a christmas gift that she had made herself.  I absolutely love them and they hang above the head of a bed in the spare room. 

Kaisercraft Paper Collection called "Plush Empress"

Thanks Franny for the great gift!

I knew that I wanted to have a try at making these myself so after asking her how it is done, I am having a go and sharing with you too.

Supply list:
-3 sheets from the same collection
-3 x 4' square canvas 
-acrylic paint 
-multi medium paste (like modge podge) 
-paintbrush, pencil, scissors

Step 1: 
Use a piece of scrap card / board to make a template for the top of the canvas.
Use the canvas to draw around.  
Cut just inside the line.


Step 2:
Paint the sides of each canvas
Paint a narrow strip on top of the canvas (the paper will cover most of it)
Do the same underneath.
You will need 2-3 coats of paint.
I let the 1st and 2nd coat dry for only about 20 mins before putting the next coat on.  But I let the last coat dry completely (2-3 hours).
Paint used here: Kaisercolour in "Slate"
Step 3:
Use the template in step  1 to draw and cut out your covers from your chosen papers.
Paper used here: 
Kaisercraft "Blae & Ivy" Collection: 
(left to right)
Dew Drop , Meadow, Mystic Cove



Step 4:
Make sure the canvas is completely dry before doing this step. Do 1 cover at a time
Working quickly, coat the back of the cover and the top of the canvas with your multi medium paste.
Carefully arrange the cover on top of the canvas.  You should be able to 'slide' it around a little bit to get it in the correct place. Smooth over with your fingers to prevent air bubbles!!


Step 5:
When all 3 canvas's are dry, use your multi medium to paint a sealing coat over the whole canvas, including the top.  Brush strokes will show a little so brush carefully!

Multi medium used here: Claudine Hellmuth's 'Studio' in matte.

When this step is dry, they are ready to hang!




3 comments:

Jeanette said...

Oh, I am SO going to make some of these for our new bedroom!! I LOVE your blog, Criese...you are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Hey Babe I agree you are amazing.... Steph X

Two Peas in Te Pahu said...

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. I am loving this blogging thing!! I am so thrilled that my friends and family get a laugh and one or two ideas to try. Such high praise indeed from those who are as creative as me!!