Friday 24 February 2012

Crafty Crease #8: VTS 2 - Altered Clipboard

So much for getting the VTS series done in just a few days!  I have been visiting friends and working on other projects that had a more urgent deadline - I promise you'll get to see them soon.

Anyway on to the next project.....The Altered Clipboard.

On first appearance this may seem a simple activity, but it has this tricky bit to get around and I hope that I have included enough instructions and photos to make it easier to understand.  Email me please if you don't get what I'm referring to.

Before we start the tutorial I wanted to share with you the supplies I am using.

There are a few multi mediums out there to choose from.  Modge Podge is probably the most commonly known type, particularly in scrapbooking.

However, I choose the Claudine Hellmuth Studio brand simply because its generally a little bit cheaper (I think I paid $11 for this pottle.

Like paint, it comes in a variety of finishes (I prefer matte) and even colours.



This is the card stock paper stack that I am using for this series.  I have used it a lot in other projects too.  There are 4 sets in the series and they are all beautiful.  Warehouse Stationery stock them and they usually retail them for $30 each.  However, I have managed to get them on special for $20 (just yesterday).  They seem to have them on sale quite often, as I have never paid full price for them.



Other Minds Eye Paper Stacks found at Warehouse Stationery......















Anyway, lets get down to business...... THE ALTERED CLIPBOARD!

I get my clipboards from the $2 dollar shop.  However,  I have found that although they all look the same they are often different lengths from shop to shop...so watch out for that.  This particular clipboard is a mini version.




After choosing your paper, use the board as a template on the wrong side.


Cut it out following just inside of the line.







Hold open the clip and use string, or something similarly strong, to hold the clip open so that you can get access to the clip plate



Line up your paper, right side up, to the clip plate.  Make sure that your paper is covering all of the rest of the board and is centered vertically.

Use a pencil to mark as indicated in the picture.




Now for the tricky bit....   In order to cut around the clip plate you need to make several measurements and markings.  This is how I sort of how I did it. Keep in mind that I am not a logical person so this is probably not the easiest method....  All I can say is "Good Luck!"








Hopefully you will eventually end up with this!!







Working quickly, brush multi medium over the back of the patterned sheet and on top of the clipboard.


When sticking the paper to the clipboard, you have a bit of time to move the paper around so that you can get it into the position you want.


I use a plain sheet of paper over the patterned piece and the side of my bone folder to sort of 'squeegee' out any air bubbles.

Wait till the board is completely dry before taking off the string holding the clip open (or your clip might stick and tear the paper or leave an embossed mark like I did!).

Use a craft knife to trim off any excess paper.

Decorate with ribbon, wool or string......


And "voila" you have a cool altered clipboard!

No comments: